Thursday, May 6, 2010

First bike loading attempt



29 Days
Until Departure

Bike Ride from Amarillo to the Mississippi River along Route 66


As Sheila sings the "Sandford and Son" theme, I finally get the last of the preliminary packing list inside the panniers.

I weighed the stuff and it ended up 24 lbs. I will have to take a ride on the bike soon to see how it handles. I still have a few things to add to the list. I havent loaded any food or coffee and stuff but I think everything will fit pretty well.


See you on the road!!!!

6 comments:

  1. So where does the basket and streamers go? I don't see a horn.

    Now can you ride the sucker...We shall see.

    *humming the Sandford and son song*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a nice wicker basket will look great. I think I will pass on the streamers and go for a deck of cards in the spokes instead.

    By the way, I love Sanford and Son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think after about 50 miles there wouldn't be any cards left. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that a properly loaded bike handles just fine. You'll get used to a slower pace too. I learned on a trip down the MRT last year, to take what the road and the conditions give me, and be patient. Btw, I used that stove of yours on an Appalachian Trail back pack. It works fine with twins and small sticks too. Use a bit of the fuel clock to start it, but save it for when you only find wet wood. Wish i could ride with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fully Lugged, I wish you could ride it with me too! I will definitely take your advice on the stove. Do you have a packing list from your last ride? How did you organize your panniers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bike66: You can buddy list me on Bike Journal or email me fullylugged at yahoo dot com and I'll be happy to pass on whatever I can. :)

    ReplyDelete