Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 1

Bike Ride from Amarillo to the Mississippi River along Route 66



I got up this morning at 5am ready for my great bike trip. We loaded up and went to I Hop for a nice breakfast.


We drove back west to unload at Cadillac Ranch (a Stanley Marsh art project-- it is 10 Cadillac nose down in the ground as a death to the fin tails of the past).

I loaded a cooler on the back of the bike but it messed up the balance of the bike. I wish I brought it though. After a few tearful moments with my family, it was time to go. They followed me up the access road to the highway. Once they went around me, I felt lonely. But after some pedaling, I started to feel a little better. I couldnt get my Garmin to work right but found out that it was doing just fine. It started to navigate just fine.

There were really cool route 66 stuff in Amarillo.




This mural was on a bar along the route. It was pretty cool because it had all the owners painted on it.








This other mural was painted on the side of a grocery store closer to downtown. I think it was painted in the 90's but it definatly had a rustic look that I would imagine Route 66 would have.



Stanley Marsh has a ton of art projects in the Amarillo Area. This a one of many signs placed all over Amarillo. They are street signs with weird stuff on it. This one has a bird.


To be Continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment