Saturday, March 13, 2010

Does it really matter?

STOVES. DOES IT REALLY MATTER?




I was looking at a packing list for my bike trip along Route 66 from Amarillo to St. Louis and came to one of the most important items on the list: The Camp Stove. On the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma portions of route 66, places to stop for food are few and far between. If I want to eat a hot meal, I will have to make it myself. Also, I am coffee person. So, in the morning, I do like a nice cup of Joe.


Does it matter?


Apparently so. I have researched stoves now for about a week. I have viewed home made ones, cheap propane ones, and expensive multi fueled stoves. I didn't really care what I used, just as long as I had something to heat stuff up. I don't want something very heavy, obviously. I don't want something that takes up all my pannier space. And, I don't want something that will spill all over the place.

Which stove will I use?

Here are my Choices:

Home Made Soda Can Stove


I found a great web sight about stoves and this guy made a homemade one.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/a-camp-stove-comparison/

I followed the directions and built one myself. It WORKED. It wasn't fast but I am sure with some tweaked measurements, it will work the way it is supposed to. I like this stove because it uses alcohol fuel which burns clean and is easy to transport without spilling. For me, this will be perfect. I still haven't brought a pot of water to boiling yet, but I still haven't tried too hard.



Propane Stoves






I think Propane stoves would work well, except that they bulky and heavy.


They do heat very quickly. A liter of water will boil in 4 minutes and each canister burns for 14 hours on low. This would be great because I could buy two bottles for my whole trip and it wont spill.

I think if it were not so bulky, this would be perfect.






Duel Fuel Stoves




This stove is great because it is small, light and can use multiple fuel sources. This one will burn alcohol, kerosene, Coleman Fuel and Gasoline. YES Gasoline. The reason I like this stove is because I can get Gas anywhere. I think that would be great because if I run out of Coleman fuel, unless there is a Walmart around, I would be out of luck. With this stove, I can go up to a gas station and get my 12 cents worth of gas. Imagine that one! The reason I don't like this stove because if the stove tips, or spills, my panniers will now and forever smell like gasoline right along with everything else. NOT GOOD when I am on the road. I also worry about the fuel smell while cooking too. I don't want my rigatoni smelling like Chevron a Toni.





In summery, I have not found the perfect stove yet. I don't think cost is a consideration, but ironically the stove I like the best doesn't cost a thing.



See you on the road!!

1 comment:

  1. I used the Coleman 533 duel fuel stove. I heated water fast. I think I need a wind break, especially if when I try to light it. It worked great but it sure was bulky and heavy.

    ReplyDelete