Friday, March 12, 2010

Some say, "Why?"

I am asked why I like to ride long distances on a bike. I suppose most of the population ride bikes around town and do not go very far. It takes a lot of effort to ride a long distance.


To me, riding my bike is an adventure. I used to take my boat out a lot until I moved to the panhandle. Here there aren't too many lakes to explore. One of my favorite pass times when I lived in Waco was taking the boat my father gave me up the Brazos River. I found it relaxing to explore new bends in the river. I would want to see how far up river I could go. Usually after a good rain, the river would be up and I could go just a little further. I would seen a new Cliff, or sand bar.

To me, riding my bike is the same thing. I know when most people get home from work, the last thing they want to do is get on a bike to ride 50 miles or so. But to me, it is a vacation. Mental demands made on me all day simply vanish when I am in the saddle; much the same as it was when I was on the boat.

At the end of the school year, when all the kids are thinking about their long lazy days of playing video games and sleeping in, I am thinking about the road. Just like the kids, summer is MY time and I do not intend to spend it lying around the house all day.


When I am stressed and I am having a bad day or week, I dream about the road. You see, there are endless possibilities, endless locations, endless miles. All you got to do is just go!

No comments:

Post a Comment